Are you about starting a real estate investment holding company? If YES, here is a complete sample real estate investment holding company business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE.
A holding company is a company whose interest is to buy and own the stocks of other companies with the aim of getting returns on their investment and also controlling the affairs of the company. As a matter of fact, holding companies serve as investment vehicles for investors.
Holding companies do not go through the stress of starting a business from the scratch, they are specialists in buying over a company that they know has the potential to make profits not only in the short run but also in the long run. You will need a large financial base if you truly want to successfully run your own holding company and you will also need investment experts to be part of your team.
The first step you need to take if you want to start your own holding company is to conduct extensive research on holding companies in and around you. The truth is that there loads of stuffs you need to learn if you intend making a success from this business.
So, in order to get started, take out time to read up all you can find on holding companies and investment vehicles. Below is a sample holding company business plan template that can help you to successfully write your own with little or no hassle.
A Sample Real Estate Investment Holding Company Business Plan Template
1. Industry Overview
Holding companies can be classified under the Venture Capital and Principal Trading industry and this industry comprises of firms and investment consultants that act as principals in the buying or selling of financial contracts. Principals in this context are investors who trade (buy or sell) for their own account, rather than on behalf of their clients.
This industry consists of holding companies, venture capital firms, investment clubs and viatical settlement companies, and does not include investment bankers, securities dealers and commodity contracts dealers trading as principals.
It is a fact that the Venture Capital and Principal Trading industry is growing faster than most industries in the financial services sector not only in the united states but across the global market. Industry value added (IVA), a measure of the industry’s contribution to the overall economy, is projected to increase at a 6.9 percent annualized rate over the next 10 years.
Indeed, the Venture Capital and Principal Trading industry is a very large and thriving industry not only in the developed nations, but also in developing and under developing countries of the world. Statistics has it that the Venture Capital and Principal Trading industry in the United States of America is worth $106 billion, with an estimated growth rate of 4.2 percent.
There are about 29,069 registered and licensed venture capital firms in the United States and they are responsible for employing about 74,814 people. It is important to state that there are no companies with a dominant market share in this industry; the industry is open to fair competition.
Over and above, the main reasons for starting a holding company is to own shares of other companies with the aim of forming a corporate group. Holding companies allow the reduction of risk for the owners and can allow the ownership and control of a number of different companies.
2. Executive Summary
Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC is a registered, licensed and accredited holding company that will be based in New York City – New York.
The company will be involved in acquiring large percentage of shares of companies with the potential to doing pretty well. We are aware that running a standard holding company can be demanding which is why we are well trained, certified and equipped to perform excellently well.
Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC is a client – focused and result driven holding company that plays by the rules and also provides broad-based services. We will offer trusted and profitable services to all our individual and corporate clients at local, state, national and international levels. We will ensure that we work hard to meet and surpass our clients’ expectations whenever we take control of any company.
At Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC, our client’s best interest would always come first, and everything we do is guided by our values and professional ethics. We will ensure that we hire professionals who are well experienced in stock exchange and other investment portfolios with good track record of return on investments.
Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC will at all times demonstrate her commitment to sustainability, both individually and as a firm, by actively participating in our communities and integrating sustainable business practices wherever possible. We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our client’s needs precisely and completely.
Our plan is to position the business to become one of the leading brands in the investment and business management line of business in the whole of New York City, and also to be amongst the top 20 holding companies in the United States of America within the first 10 years of operation.
This might look too tall a dream but we are optimistic that this will surely be realized because we have done our research and feasibility studies and we are enthusiastic and confident that New York is the right place to launch our holding company before expanding our investment portfolio.
Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC is founded by Gregory Peters and his business partners for many years Lindsay Thomas. The organization will be managed by both of them since they have adequate working experience to manage such business.
Gregory Peters has over 15 years experience working at various capacities as a venture capitalist for leading investment banks and related firms in the United States of America. Gregory Peters graduated from both University of California – Berkley with a Degree in Accounting, and University of Harvard (MSc.) and he is an accredited and certified venture capitalist.
3. Our Products and Services
Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC is a company that is established with the aim of buying off the shares of companies with the potential of growth with the aim of taking over the companies and effectively managing them. We also acquire and hold properties and hard assets that yield positive cash flow annually.
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our vision is to build a holding company brand that will become one of the top choices for investors in the whole of New York City – New York. Our vision reflects our values: integrity, service, excellence and teamwork.
- Our mission is to position the business to become one of the leading brands in the holding company line of business in the whole of New York City, and also to be amongst the top 20 holding companies in the United States of America within the first 10 years of operations.
Our Business Structure
Ordinarily we would have settled for less than a handful of full staff members, but as part of our plan to build a standard holding company in New York City, we have perfected plans to get it right from the beginning which is why we are going the extra mile to hire qualified, competent, honest and hardworking employees to occupy all the available positions in our firm.
The picture of the kind of holding company we intend building and the business goals we want to achieve is what informed the amount we are ready to pay for the best hands available in and around New York as long as they are willing and ready to work with us to achieve our business goals and objectives.
Below is the business structure that we will build Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC;
- Chief Executive Officer
- Venture Capitalists Consultants
- Admin and HR Manager
- Risk Manager
- Marketing and Sales Executive
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO)/Chief Accounting Officer (CAO)
- Customer Care Executive/Front Desk Officer
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Office:
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives; developing a climate for offering information and opinions; providing educational opportunities.
- Creates, communicates, and implements the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
Venture Capitalist Consultants
- Provides market research and implementing new investment product and strategies
- Creates research and review platforms for new, existing and potential investment products
- Exceeds client expectations with returns on investments
- Works closely with analysts and traders to ensure trading strategy is carried out correctly
- Constructs and reviews performance reports to show to investors
- Works directly with marketer to relay investment strategy and risk measures for website and other forms of marketing for hedge fund
- Performing due diligence, visits and assessing investment management firms and quantitatively analyzing investment pools
- Has extensive knowledge of industry policies and regulations set in place by the SEC
- Focuses on capital introductions and networking to sign up new investors to your fund
- Plans, designs and implements an overall risk management process for the organization;
- Risks assessment, which involves analyzing risks as well as identifying, describing and estimating the risks affecting the business;
- Risks evaluation, which involves comparing estimated risks with criteria established by the organization such as costs, legal requirements and environmental factors, and evaluating the organization’s previous handling of risks;
- Establishes and quantifying the organization’s ‘risk appetite’, i.e. the level of risk they are prepared to accept;
- Risks reporting in an appropriate way for different audiences, for example, to the board of directors so they understand the most significant risks, to business heads to ensure they are aware of risks relevant to their parts of the business and to individuals to understand their accountability for individual risks;
- Corporates governance involving external risk reporting to stakeholders;
- Carries out processes such as purchasing insurance, implementing health and safety measures and making business continuity plans to limit risks and prepare for if things go wrong;
- Conducts audits of policy and compliance to standards, including liaison with internal and external auditors;
- Provides support, education and training to staff to build risk awareness within the organization.
Admin and HR Manager
- Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- Designs job descriptions with KPI to drive performance management for clients
- Regularly hold meetings with key stakeholders to review the effectiveness of HR Policies, Procedures and Processes
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Defines job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carries out staff induction for new team members
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- Responsible for arranging travel, meetings and appointments
- Oversees the smooth running of the daily office activities
Marketing/Investor Relations Officer
- Identifies, prioritizes, and reaches out to new partners, and business opportunities et al
- Identifies development opportunities; follows up on development leads and contacts; participates in the structuring and financing of projects; assures the completion of relevant projects.
- Writes winning proposal documents, negotiate fees and rates in line with company policy
- Responsible for handling business research, marker surveys and feasibility studies for clients
- Responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- Develops, executes and evaluates new plans for expanding sales
- Documents all customer contact and information
- Represents the company in strategic meetings
- Helps to increase sales and growth for the company
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)/Chief Accounting Officer (CAO)
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Creates reports from the information concerning the financial transactions recorded by the bookkeeper
- Prepares the income statement and balance sheet using the trial balance and ledgers prepared by the bookkeeper
- Provides managements with financial analysis, development budgets, and accounting reports; analyzes financial feasibility for the most complex proposed projects; conducts market research to forecast trends and business conditions
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting for one or more properties
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensures compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the company
- Serves as internal auditor for the company
Client Service Executive/Front Desk Officer
- Welcomes guests and clients by greeting them in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries
- Ensures that all contacts with clients (e-mail, walk-In center, SMS or phone) provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with clients on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the company’s products and services
- Manages administrative duties assigned by the manager in an effective and timely manner
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on the company’s products, promotional campaigns etc. to ensure accurate and helpful information is supplied to clients
- Receives parcels/documents for the company
- Distributes mails in the organization
- Handles any other duties as assigned by the human resource and admin manager
6. SWOT Analysis
Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC engaged the services of a core professionals in the area of business structuring to assist our organization in building a well – structured holding company that can favorably compete in the highly competitive investment industry.
Part of what the team of business consultants did was to work with the management of our organization in conducting a SWOT analysis for Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC. Here is a summary from the result of the SWOT analysis that was conducted on behalf of Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC;
Our strength lies in the power of our team; our workforce. We have a team that can go all the way to give our clients value for their money (good returns on their investment) and also to increase our annual returns; a team that is trained and equipped to pay attention to details and to deliver excellent jobs. We are well positioned and we know we will attract loads of clients (accredited investors) from the first day we open our doors for business.
As a new holding company, it might take some time for our organization to break into the market and gain acceptance especially from big – time investors in the already saturated Venture Capital and Principal Trading industry, that is perhaps our major weakness. So also, we may not have the required cash to give our business the kind of publicity we would have loved to.
The opportunities in the Venture Capital and Principal Trading industry is massive considering the number of big and small companies who would need financial support from holding companies to grow their business and increase their profits. As a standard and accredited holding company, we are ready to take advantage of any opportunity that comes our way.
Holding companies and their operations involve a large amount of cash and it is known to be a high – risk venture hence, whoever chooses to manage it must not just have a solid investment background, but must also know how to handle risks and discover potential thriving businesses and opportunities. The truth is that if you are not grounded in risk management as a holding company, you may likely throw away peoples’ monies and investment.
Just as in any other business and investment vehicles, economic downturn, unstable financial market and unfavorable government economic policies can hamper the growth and profitability of venture capitalist firms.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
A close watch at the Venture Capital and Principal Trading industry that holding company is a part of, shows that in the dawn of recessionary declines, the industry is expected to continue on a path to growth, but not without a few more ups and downs. This group of firms and individuals has benefited from rising security prices and increasing merger and acquisition activity over the last five years.
As a result of this trend, Venture Capital and Principal Trading industry revenue is expected to grow over the five-year period at an annualized rate of 9.1 percent to $42.9 billion in 2016. The revenue growth for the industry was restrained in the early part of the period as the industry was reluctant to bounce back from the financial crisis and subsequent recession of the prior period that caused stock markets and business activity to dramatically contract in the United States and of course in the global market.
On the average, it is trendy to find holding companies employ strategies that can help them reduce market risk specifically by shorting equities or through the use of derivatives.
8. Our Target Market
The main reasons for starting holding companies is to provide funding and oversight functions for established companies with great potential of making profits and growing big in the future. So, your responsibility is not just to raise capital but also to look for companies where the capital can be invested and it will generate good returns over a period of time. The truth is that it takes a core professional to be able to identify a company that has the potential to grow and become profitable if funds and pumped into it.
As a standard, accredited and licensed holding company, Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC offers a wide range of investment portfolio management services hence we are well trained and equipped to manage and provide oversight functions for established companies.
Our target market cuts across businesses and investors that have the required capital to invest in companies and other investment portfolios. We are coming into the industry with a business concept that will enable us produce good returns on investment for ourselves and our clients.
Below is a list of organizations that we have specifically designed our products and services for;
- Accredited Investors
- Investment Clubs
- Top corporate executives
- Corporate Organizations/Blue Chip Companies
Our Competitive Advantage
Despite the fact that holding companies and venture capitalist investment strategies gives huge returns on investment, it is indeed risky venture. If you drive through the street of New York City, you will come across several holding companies and related business ventures; this goes to show you that there are competitions in the industry.
For you to survive as a holding company, you should be able to come up with workable investment and business management strategies that will help you attract the required cash / capital and above all you should be a good risks manager and one that can spot a potential thriving business from afar.
We are quite aware that to be highly competitive in the Venture Capital and Principal Trading industry means that we should be able to give good returns on investments to our clients, turn around the fortunes of a dying company, spot potential successful business ideas and invest in them, our clients should be satisfied with our investment strategies and we should be able to meet their expectations.
Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC might be a new entrant into the holding industry in the United States of America, but the management staff and owners of the business are considered gurus. They are licensed and highly qualified portfolio management experts in the United States. These are part of what will count as a competitive advantage for us.
Lastly, our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the industry meaning that they will be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and objectives.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC is established with the aim of maximizing profits in the Venture Capital and Principal Trading industry and we are going to go all the way to ensure that we do all it takes to attract clients on a regular basis.
Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC will generate income by offering the following investment related services;
- Returns generated from our shares/stocks
- Investing in financial contracts on own account
- Participating in investment clubs (group of people who pool their money to make investments)
- Mineral royalties or leases dealing (as principal in dealing to investors)
- Oil royalty dealing (as principal in dealing to investors)
- Viatical settlement (purchasing life insurance policy at a discount to later collect the death benefit)
- Venture capital (investing in startups and small businesses with long-term growth potential)
- Trade in financial products
- Related investment consulting and advisory services
10. Sales Forecast
One thing is certain, there would always be accredited investors, small scale and medium scale businesses and wealthy individuals who would need the services of tested and trusted holding firms.
We are well positioned to take on the available market in New York City and other key cities in the United States of America and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough income from the first six months of operation and grow the business and our clientele base beyond New York City to other cities in the United States of America.
We have been able to examine the holding industry, we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast. The sales projection is based on information gathered on the field and some assumptions that are peculiar to similar startups in New York City.
- First Fiscal Year: $750,000
- Second Year: $ 1.5 Million
- Third Year: $3 Million
N.B: This projection is done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor offering same services as we do within the same location. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
We are mindful of the fact that there are stiff competitions amongst holding companies in the United States of America, hence we have been able to hire some of the best business developers to handle our sales and marketing.
Our sales and marketing team will be recruited based on their vast experience in the industry and they will be trained on a regular basis so as to be well equipped to meet their targets and the overall goal of the organization. We will also ensure that our return on investment and excellent job deliveries speaks for us in the market place; we want to build a standard that will leverage on word of mouth advertisement from satisfied clients.
Our goal is to grow our holding company to become one of the top 20 holding firms in the United States of America which is why we have mapped out strategy that will help us take advantage of the available market and grow to become a major force to reckon with not only in New York City but also in other cities in the United States of America.
Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC is set to make use of the following marketing and sales strategies to attract clients;
- Introduce our business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to corporate organizations, startups, accredited investors, entrepreneurs and key stake holders in New York City and other cities in The United States
- Advertise our business in relevant financial and business-related magazines, newspapers, TV and radio stations.
- List our business on yellow pages ads (local directories)
- Attend relevant international and local finance and business expos, seminars, and business fairs et al
- Create different packages for different category of clients in order to work with their budgets and still deliver good returns on investment
- Leverage on the internet to promote our business
- Engage direct marketing approach
- Encourage word of mouth marketing from loyal and satisfied clients
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
The uniqueness of the holding industry is such that it is the result they produce that helps boost their brand awareness. Holding companies are strategic when it comes to inviting investors to invest in a project or when it comes to acquiring a struggling company.
It will be out of place to boost your holding company brand if you have not proven your worth in the industry. If you have successfully proven that you have what it takes to operate a successful holding company, then your next port of call is to strategically engage the media to help you promote your brand and also to create a positive corporate identity.
We have been able to work with our brand and publicity consultants to help us map out publicity and advertising strategies that will help us walk our way into the heart of our target market. We are set to take the holding industry by storm which is why we have made provisions for effective publicity and advertisement of our holding company.
Below are the platforms we intend to leverage on to promote and advertise Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC;
- Place adverts on both print (community based newspapers and magazines) and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community based events/programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms to promote our brand
- Install our billboards on strategic locations all around New York City
- Ensure that all our workers wear our branded shirts and all our vehicles are well branded with our company’s logo et al.
12. Our Pricing Strategy
Holding companies are known to generate income from returns on their investment in companies, hence there are no pricing models for this type of business. But on the other hand, they tend to negotiate with their financial partners on percentage whenever they invest their hard-earned money in an investment vehicle handled by a venture capitalist firm.
At Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC we will ensure that we give good returns on investment (ROI) and always maximize profits.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC is all inclusive because we are aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC will make available to her clients;
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards/Point of Sale Machines
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our clients make payment for investment without any stress on their part.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
The cost of starting a holding company is in the two – fold; the cost of setting up the office structure and of course the capital meant for investment. The amount required to invest in this line of business could range from 1 Million US Dollars to even multiple Millions of Dollars. So, you must employ aggressive strategies to pool such cash together.
As regards the cost of setting up the office structure, your concern should be to secure a good office facility in a busy business district; it can be expensive though, but that is one of the factors that will help you position your hedge fund firm to attract the kind of investors you need.
This is the financial projection and costing for Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC;
- The total fee for incorporating the business in the United States of America – $750
- The budget for basic insurance policy covers, permits and business license – $2,500
- The Amount needed to acquire a suitable Office facility in a business district 6 month (Re – Construction of the facility inclusive) – $40,000
- The Cost for equipping the office (computers, software applications, printers, fax machines, furniture, telephones, filing cabins, safety gadgets and electronics et al) – $5,000
- The cost for purchase of the required software applications (CRM software, Accounting and Bookkeeping software and Payroll software et al) – $10,500
- The Cost of Launching your official Website – $600
- Budget for paying at least three employees for 3 months plus utility bills – $10,000
- Additional Expenditure (Business cards, Signage, Adverts and Promotions et al) – $2,500
- Investment fund – $1Million Dollars
- Miscellaneous: $1,000
Going by the report from the market research and feasibility studies conducted, we will need $150,000 excluding $1M investment capital to successfully set up a medium scale but standard holding company in the United States of America.
Generating Startup Capital for Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC
Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC is a business that will be owned and managed by Gregory Peters and his business partner Lindsay Thomas. They may likely welcome other partners later which is why they decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital for the business to just three major sources.
These are the areas we intend generating our start – up capital;
- Generate part of the start – up capital from personal savings
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from my Bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $150,000 (Personal savings $100,000 and soft loan from family members $50,000). Please note that we have perfected plans to generate $1 million dollars from accredited investors whose names can’t be mentioned for obvious reasons.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the number of loyal customers that they have, the capacity and competence of the employees, their investment strategy and the business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business, then it won’t be too long before the business close shop.
One of our major goals of starting Gregory Peters Holding Company, LLC is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without the need for injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running. We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to give investors under our business good returns on their investment.
We will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and retraining of our workforce is at the top burner of our business strategy.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of three years or more as determined by the board of the organization. We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Incorporation: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts various banks in the United States: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of all forms of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Securing a standard office facility in New York City: Completed
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating part of the start – up capital from the founder: Completed
- Applications for Loan from our Bankers: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Promotional Materials: Completed
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed software applications, furniture, office equipment, electronic appliances and facility facelift: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business (Business PR): In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement: In Progress