A pet sitting business is a business that takes care of other people’s pets either in their homes or at a shelter. The pet sitter’s responsibilities include preparing meals, reporting behavioral issues to pet owners, as well as playing with pets to encourage mental and physical stimulation.
Pet sitting businesses also vacuum pet hair and dander off carpets and furniture. Available data has it that the global pet sitting market size is anticipated to reach USD 5.0 billion by 2027, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc., expanding at a CAGR of 8.7 percent from 2020 to 2027.
Steps on How to Write a Pet Sitting Business Plan
Table of Content
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. is a pet care facility that will be based in La Paz, Arizona. The organization will be committed to serving a wide range of pet owners by providing effective training and grooming programs for pets. Donald Derrick is the founder and CEO of Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc.
a. Our Products and Services
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will provide a wide range of services that revolve around caring for different types of pets, preparing their meals, as well as playing with them to encourage mental and physical stimulation. Our services are designed to help pet owners when they need to be away from their pets for some time.
b. Nature of the Business
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will operate the business-to-consumer business model (B2C).
c. The Industry
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will operate in the pet services care industry.
d. Mission Statement
Our mission is to provide a safe and secured pet care facility that will take care of pets while their owner is away (pet sitting), and also pet grooming.
e. Vision Statement
Our vision of establishing our pet sitting business is to grow the business to be amongst the top three pet sitting companies in the United States of America.
f. Our Tagline (Slogan)
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. – Your Pets are Safe With Us!
g. Legal Structure of the Business (LLC, C Corp, S Corp, LLP)
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will be formed as a Limited Liability Company (LLC). The reason why we are forming an LLC is to protect our assets by limiting our liability to the resources of the business itself. The LLC will protect our CEOs’ assets from claims against the business, including lawsuits.
h. Our Organizational Structure
- Manager (Owner)
- Pet Sitters
- Security Guards
i. Ownership/Shareholder Structure and Board Members
- Donald Derrick (Owner and Chairman/Chief Executive Officer) 51 Percent Shares
- Levi Marcus (Board Member) 19 Percent Shares
- John Bosco (Board Member) 10 Percent Shares
- Aaron Barosh (Board Member) 10 Percent Shares
- Anne Mayfield (Board Member and Sectary) 10 Percent Shares.
- Ideal Location for pet sitting business
- Highly Experienced and Qualified Employees and Management
- Highly Secured and Clean Facility
- Highly structured programs aimed at helping pets live comfortably as though they are with their family (owners).
- Financial Limitations
- Operating from a leased facility (restriction to modify the facility to suit our style and taste)
- Inability to retain our highly experienced and qualified employees longer than we want
- The population of pet lovers in the United States is growing hence providing opportunities for a pet sitting company
- The pet care services industry is projected to reverse its decline trend and increase in the coming years.
i. How Big is the Industry?
The pet care services industry is indeed big because of the love Americans have for their pets and the massive number of pet owners in the United States who from time to time drop off their pets in pet sitting facilities.
ii. Is the Industry Growing or Declining?
Available statistics point to the fact that the industry is presently not growing and revenue for the industry has been adjusted from an increase to a decline. Please note that from 2022 the revenue for the industry is anticipated to start growing as the economy recovers and coronavirus cases subsequently drop in line with the nationwide vaccination rollout. Statistics show that the industry is anticipated to grow to USD 5.0 billion by 2027.
iii. What are the Future Trends in the Industry
The pet care services industry is changing, and players in the industry are improvising. No doubt, technology, pet-friendly legislature, and customized software will change the landscape of the industry going forward.
iv. Are There Existing Niches in the Industry? If YES, List them
No, there are no niche ideas when it comes to the pet sitting line of business.
v. Can You Sell a Franchise of your Business in the Future?
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. has plans to sell franchises in the nearest future and we will target major cities with a growing number of pet owners in the United States of America.
- Lack of support from stakeholders and the government
- Unfavorable government policy and regulations.
- Community resistance (May does not want such a facility to be located in their community)
- Liability problems
- The arrival of competitors within our market space.
i. Who are the Major Competitors?
- DFW Pet Sitting Services, Inc.
- PT’s Pet Sitting Service
- RedDog Sitting Services, LLC
- Truly Pawesome – A Dog Walking and Pet Sitting Company
- Lauri’s Pet Sitting Service
- Ark Angels Pet Sitting Services
- While You Were Out Pet Sitting Services
- Dan’s Pet Care
- Upper Cape Pet Services
- Carolina Pet Care Services, Inc.
- Prestige Pet-Sitting Agencies, LLC
- Four Paws Pet Sitting Services
- Wild Things Pet Services
- Above & Beyond Pet Services
- TLC House & Pet Sitting Service
- Jill’s Next Door Dog Walking & Pet Services, LLC
- Happy Tails Pet Sitting Services, LLC
- Alexandria Pet Care, Inc.
- Houston’s Best Pet Sitters
- Valley Pet Sitting Inc.
ii. Is There a Franchise for Pet Sitting Business? If YES, List some of them and their cost
Yes, there are franchise opportunities for pet sitting businesses. Here are some of them;
- Fetch! Pet Care
- Canine Dimensions
- Dog Training Elite
- Hounds Town USA
iii. Are There Policies, Regulations or Zoning Laws Affecting Pet Sitting Businesses?
Yes, there are county or state regulations and zoning laws for pet sitting businesses, and players in this industry are expected to work with the existing regulations governing such business in the county or state where their business is domiciled.
For example, Florida, Texas, and most states have no license requirements for pet sitting services other than the standard business registration license. However, you may be subject to local permits depending on how you plan to operate your pet sitting business.
a. Who is Your Target Audience?
i. Age Range
We don’t have an age range for people who intend to do business with us; every pet owner is welcome to drop off their pets with us.
ii. Level of Educational
We don’t have any restrictions on the level of education of those who will bring their pets to us.
iii. Income Level
We don’t have any cap on the income level of those who we are looking forward to pet sitting their pets.
There is no restriction when it comes to the ethnicity of the people we will welcome to our pet sitting facility.
There is no restriction when it comes to the language spoken by the people that will bring their pets to us.
vi. Geographical Location
Any pet owner from any geographical location will be welcome to drop off their pets with us.
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will not restrict any pet owner from accessing our facility and services based on their lifestyle, culture, or race.
b. Advertising and Promotion Strategies
- Host Themed Events That Catch The Attention of Pet Owners.
- Tap Into Text Marketing.
- Use FOMO to Run Photo Promotions.
- Share Your Events in Local Groups and Pages.
- Turn Your Social Media Channels Into a Resource
- Develop Your Business Directory Profiles
- Build Relationships With Other Pet-related businesses in our Area
i. Traditional Marketing Strategies
- Marketing through Direct Mail.
- Print Media Marketing – Newspapers & Magazines.
- Broadcast Marketing -Television & Radio Channels.
- OOH, Marketing – Public Transits like Buses and Trains, Billboards, Street shows, and Cabs.
- Leverage direct sales, direct mail (postcards, brochures, letters, fliers), print advertising (magazines, newspapers, coupon books, billboards), referral (also known as word-of-mouth marketing), radio, and television.
ii. Digital Marketing Strategies
- Social Media Marketing Platforms.
- Influencer Marketing.
- Email Marketing.
- Content Marketing.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Marketing.
- Affiliate Marketing
- Mobile Marketing.
iii. Social Media Marketing Plan
- Start using chatbots.
- Create a personalized experience for our clients.
- Create an efficient content marketing strategy.
- Create a community for pet owners.
- Gear up our profiles with a diverse content strategy.
- Use brand advocates.
- Create profiles on the relevant social media channels.
- Run cross-channel campaigns.
c. Pricing Strategy
All our pricing strategies will reflect;
- Cost-Based Pricing
- Value-Based Pricing
- Competition-Based Pricing.
Sales and Distribution Plan
a. Sales Channels
Our channel sales strategy will involve using partners and third parties—such as referral partners, affiliate partners, pet clubs, and vet clinics to help refer pet owners to us.
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will also leverage the 4 Ps of marketing which are place, price, product, and promotion. By carefully integrating all these marketing strategies into a marketing mix, we can have a visible, in-demand service that is competitively priced.
b. Inventory Strategy
The fact that we will need a change of beddings, pet medications, supplies, and pet food means that Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will operate an inventory strategy that is based on a day-to-day methodology for ordering, maintaining, and processing items in our warehouse. We will develop our strategy with the same thoroughness and attention to detail as we would if we were creating an overall strategy for the business.
c. Payment Options for Customers
Here are the payment options that Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will make available to its clients;
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
d. Return Policy, Incentives, and Guarantees
At Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc., we offer services, and the nature of services we offer does not accommodate return policy, and incentives, but we will give guarantees to our clients that we will take good care of their pets.
e. Customer Support Strategy
Our customer support strategy will involve seeking customer feedback. This will help us provide excellent customer service to our customers, it will also help us to understand their needs, experiences, and pain points. We will work with effective CRM software to be able to achieve our aim of surpassing our customer’s needs.
We plan to expand our revenue by 65 percent in the second year and the plan will include a marketing, sales, and operations component. The operations component of the plan would include attracting more customers and additional service offerings that will enable the firm to boost our service offerings and support revenue growth.
a. What Happens During a Typical Day at a Pet Sitting Business?
- The facility is open for the day
- The facility is cleaned and prepared for the day’s activities
- Pet owners are welcomed and their pets are received from them
- Activities such as feeding, caring for, as well as playing with pets are carried out as required
- Administrative works are done
- Pet owners come to pick up their pets and the facility is closed for the day.
b. Production Process
There is no production process when it comes to a pet sitting business.
c. Service Procedure
There is no service procedure when it comes to a pet sitting business.
d. The Supply Chain
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will rely on vet clinics and other stakeholders in our city to refer pet owners to us. So also, we have been able to establish business relationships with wholesale supplies of beddings, toiletries, pet medications, supplies, pet food et al.
e. Sources of Income
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. makes money from;
- Pet sitting and pet grooming
- Boarding pets
- Guard dog training
- Pet training
- General merchandise of pet-related products (pet foods, shampoos, dog ties, chains, pet clothes et al).
a. Amount Needed to Start Our Pet Sitting Business?
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. would need an estimate of $150,000 to successfully set up our pet sitting business in the United States of America. Please note that this amount includes the salaries of our staff for the first month of operation.
b. What are the Costs Involved?
- Business Registration Fees – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits – $1,300.
- Marketing, Branding and Promotions – $3,000.
- Business Consultant Fee – $2,500.
- Insurance – $5,400.
- Rent/Lease – $60,000.
- Other start-up expenses include commercial satellite TV subscriptions, and phone and utility deposits ($2,800).
- Operational Cost (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $30,000
- Start-up inventory – $15,000
- Store Equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $4,750
- Furnishing and Equipping – $10,000
- Website: $800
- Miscellaneous: $2,000
c. Do You Need to Build a Facility? If YES, How Much Will It Cost?
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will not build a new facility for our pet sitting business; we intend to start with a long-term lease and after 5 years, we will start the process of acquiring our own facility.
d. What are the Ongoing Expenses for Running a Pet Sitting Business?
- Cost of stocking up supplies such as pet toiletries, beddings, pet medications, supplies, pet food et al
- Utility bills (gas, internet, phone bills, signage and sewage et al)
- Salaries of employees
e. What is the Average Salary of your Staff?
- Manager (Owner) – $45,000 Per Year
- Pet Sitters – $29,630,000 Per Year
- Cleaners – $25,000 Per Year
- Security Guard -$24,000 Per Year.
f. How Do You Get Funding to Start a Pet Sitting Business?
- Raising money from personal savings and sale of personal stocks and properties
- Applying for a loan from your bank/banks
- Source for soft loans from our family members and friends.
a. How Much Should You Charge for your Product/Service?
At Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. it is important to note that we will charge $25 to $30 a day on average, depending on the services involved. The average cost of a 30-minute visit is $25, while overnight pet-sitting costs $75 to $85.
b. Sales Forecast?
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $250,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $350,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $450,000
c. Estimated Profit You Will Make a Year?
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): (65 percent)
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): (45 percent)
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): (50 percent)
d. Profit Margin of a Pet Sitting Business
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will work towards achieving between 25 percent to 45 percent.
a. How We Intend to Grow and Expand? By opening more retail outlets/offices or selling a franchise?
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. will grow our pet sitting business by first opening other outlets in key cities in the United States of America within the first five years of establishing the business and then will start selling franchises from the sixth year.
b. Where We Intend to Expand to and Why? (Geographical locations)
Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. plans to expand first to Dallas – Texas, New York City – New York, Sumter – Florida, and then to Liliano – Texas, Lancaster – Virginia, Alcona – Michigan, and Catron New Mexico. The reason we intend to expand to these locations is that statistics show that the cities listed above have the highest number of people with pets in the United States.
The founder of Pet Solutions® Pet Sitting Company, Inc. plans to exit the business via family succession. We have placed structures and processes in place that will help us achieve our plan of successfully transferring the business from one family member to another and from one generation to another without hitches.